Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Magic Thief


I was hoping to read the new Printz award book this week, but it wasn't delivered until Saturday, so I am not done yet. Look for my review next week. Instead this week I read "The Magic Thief" by Sarah Prineas. This is the first in a planned triology of books, and "The Magic Thief: Lost" is next. I am always hesitant to start a series, but I this one was so good, I am looking forward to reading the rest. The characters are well developed and likable. If you are a fan of Harry Potter, or Percy Jackson, you are going to like this fantasy series as well.

From Booklist
*Starred Review* Young Conn opens the first volume of this new trilogy, noting “A thief is a lot like a wizard.” Conn is a thief but, through desire and inevitability, becomes a wizard by book’s end. This evolution begins when Conn picks the pocket of the wizard Nevery, who is startled that the nicked magical stone didn’t kill the boy. Nevery takes on Conn as a servant, but the boy’s inquisitiveness and talents move him to apprentice status. Nevery has recently returned to Willmet to save the city-state, which is faltering as its magic seeps away. As Conn becomes more enmeshed in his new life, he navigates through the intricate dealings of both the wizarding world and the political machinations of the Underlord.

No comments:

Post a Comment